Monday, January 14, 2008

Snowflakes

Today I received quite a wonderful and needed lesson. As most of you well know, today saw the first snow in a couple of weeks here in Athens. As beautiful as it was, I found myself rushing from place to place today, my mind wholly intent on completing the chores on my list. As I walked rapidly, seeing only the next step in front of my shoes, the snow kept getting in my eyes. All morning it was like this, go into class or a store, come out, and there was that darned snow again. I have to admit, by noon today it was really starting to tick me off. That is of course, until I realized that the only reason the snow kept getting in my eyes, and blinding me as I walked, was that I was walking so fast. The minute I slowed down, the snow just settled into sweet downward drifts around my face and onto my hat.

As often as I told myself on the plane back home from Honduras, and as often as I told myself that I would take the lesson of calmness from Montana, I still find myself slipping back into the anxious old habits. Today I feel like God left a sweet little package on my doorstep that said: "You could learn from this." I love little presents.

No comments:

Post a Comment