Thursday, March 6, 2008

Lazily

I'm just sitting here at my desk, reminiscing about Mexico. You see, currently there is just the slightest, sweetest breeze rolling in through my window, and I can hear the birds, but the day is still a bit chilly. And I remember how on my first trip to Oaxaca, we stayed at this hotel in the city called Casano del Llano, which means Big House on a Hill. We arrived, that first day, late in the night. We had walked all the way from the bus station, and I remember just being completely exhausted and excited all at once. I dropped my things at the end of my bed, marveled at the fact that there weren't any glass windows in the whole building, and promptly fell asleep.

What's triggering the memory now is the sensation I felt when I woke up that morning. The light was gently peeking through the window. It was chilly, but I was cozy in the bed. The room was full of the smell of fresh sheets and flowers. When I walked over to the window, the most beautiful, amazing sunrise greeted me. I'd never even seen a mountain before, and there I was, experiencing one of the most magical things any one of us can go through - a sunrise over the mountains. I just remember the day being crisp in a way I'd never felt before. Charged with energy, ready to give forth a beautiful, full day, resplendent with life and love, and hope.



Yeah, I just wanted to write about how beautiful Oaxaca is. Or was, I should say, before the civil war hit. *sigh* There is always hope, right?

That pic is of me painting faces in Sidihui.

2 comments:

  1. isn't that first pic from Honduras?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, all of these are my Oaxaca pics. Funny how similar it looks, eh?

    ReplyDelete