Saturday, April 19, 2008

The Swingset

Hey! I like you,

and Remember! that time I

Spilled! juice on your

pants?

(feet planted like sugarcane stalks)

(dirty and slow, soles mingling with dust)

(Draaaaag, kick)

(Draaaaag, kick)

(Push off, lunar landing style)

the sky is

Pink!

I’ll race you,

And!

if I could,

Fly!

today, these arms would

Reach!

out over

Your!

tall power lines.

and Hey!

I liiiike you

(Grindddd.)

It was the dirty ones

with no love in their hearts

that took the seat and his chain

and threw them to the cold of the sky

to drape, in death, over cold metal bars

a facsimile of a sham of a swing.


1 comment:

  1. So, I suppose, I should just say that you need to read this poem with the sound of a swing in your mind. The creak of the swing back and forth. Slooooowly eee, ee. Dooooo, do doo dum. Got it? Go read the poem again.

    ReplyDelete