Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Two F's: Food, and Friends

Well!

This week was rather a drag at the lab. I spend most of my time going through electronic files for children who have been seen at the department, looking for kids with ADHD - but since it's all in Dutch, it takes me about two legs shakes short of forever. And yes, I just made up the phrase, "Two leg shakes short of forever."

In better news, I went over Siri's house this weekend, and made a delicious dinner and breakfast, in honor of Siri's birthday. The dinner was incredible - I was so pleased with how it came out. It was a mushroom and chicken tart with sage and asiago:


I modified it a bit, it was more a "deep-dish" tart for us, but it was still super good. I think I'm going to make it again sometime this week, but try and do it flat like it is in this picture (No, these pictures are not actually of my food - though my food was beautiful too!).

The side dish was roasted brussel sprouts with pancetta and almonds. I'll tell you what, I never thought I would love brussel sprouts as much as I do. I mean,  I really love them. They are so, so good when they're roasted in the oven, or, like I did, in a big, heavy bottomed pan. Mmm.





As part of her birthday present, I made Siri "dump" cookies, which is basically just my way of saying that they had white and dark chocolate chips, oatmeal, and M&M's in them. So tasty! For breakfast, I made pancakes with real maple syrup (brought back especially for Siri from the tasteh U.S.), bacon, and eggs. A true American breakfast. I love breakfast.

And now, I give you a bunch of pictures I completely forgot to stick up, anywhere! Let the random slideshow commence!

Oh, look! It's me at the practice scanner. I am a pro-fession-al. That is our "practice patient" Monsieur Oliphant.

These little beauties are known as "bitterballen." They are traditional Dutch drinking snacks. Usually small krokets, fried cheese, and other fried meat objects, etc. YUM.

These pics are from when Siri, Rem, Juliette, Hans and I went bowling, and then promptly afterward went "steengrillen." Why they are together, I will never know...

I have serious bowling skillz.


Steengrillen. In Holland, usually accompanied with bowling. It's like mixing an offshoot of Japanese culture (hibachi), with the Dutch, with 50's and 60's era rock and roll. Like putting Sushi in a bottle of Coke. AKA: Weird.

These pictures are from a school visit I did, where I got to the town super early, and walked around for a bit before meeting the teacher for class.

A beautiful basillica.



I was a little bit of a chicken, and didn't go in the church at first, but instead decided to find food. Here is the bakery I found. Mm. Smells like delicious.

My breakfast. One was an onion veggie thing, and one was just a giant cinnamon roll like bread twist.

Someone give this mannequin a sweater!

More of the Basillica


I think it's meant for dogs. I think. But, it rhymes!
Talking! This was a good class.


And then, after talking, I went back to the Basillica, and had the balls to go inside! It was beautiful. And empty.






Siri's little sister Noah, dressed as Zwarte Piet. On Sinterklaas.

Driving back to Utrecht with Siri and Rem, beautiful morning across the fields (and windmills) of Holland. And, unfortunately, a nice big fat camera in the window.


On my way to work I catch some outrageously pretty sunrises.



In Delft, I believe. Look, they're Golden Snitches!!

At the Dusseldorf Christmas Market. There were a lot of people. This is a photo of a people traffic jam.

This is how I feel about things like, "People traffic jams."

Reibekuchen. In Heaven, I will be able to eat all the fattening German food... These delicious treats are pictured below.

Fried potato pancake type things, with "apfelmous" also known as applesauce. They were so, so good. They were hot, and fresh and tasty...


Again with the people.

Siri!

Yes, I know what you're thinking. My, Kelli, you look so lovely in this photo! Right? Oh, wait. And: "Hmm, I think she's posing next to a giant wiener."

Mushrooms in a creamy sauce, served with a slice of bread and an even creamier sauce. What will the Germans think of next!? They were also really good. This day was basically 1/4 shopping, 3/4 eating. It was Germany. I mean, what else do you do in Germany?

My fried wheel of Camember (sp?) cheese. With delicious jam to go with it.

Siri and her sister Sum had me pose with all the street performers.

I thought this was so funny. Sorry it's sideways. I was going to give it to my friend Jacob (who plays the accordion) on his birthday.

Siri and I. Note the Flasses.

Siri's sister Sum and I. At dinner. Nom nom nom.

The next street performer was a wizard.

Wizard. Awwkkkwwwaaaard.

And this, folks, is the line that greeted me at the airport, at about 7 AM, in Amsterdam. I was like to about kill somebody. Luckily, I was plucked from the line and did not end of missing my flight, though I enraged enough people with my plucking that I'm lucky I wasn't shanked.


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your blog. I check every day, so I'm glad that today there was more on it. I'm sure anyone who reads this can see your wonderful sense of humor and can kind of live vicariously through your adventures. I like that you had to fortify yourself with some baked goods before you dared enter the giant church. That's my Kelli! So, so, so much yummy food there. I'd gain 50 pounds if I went there for a year. I'm glad you and Siri and her sister(s) had fun in Germany. It looks like a wonderful time, except for the people traffic jams!

    ReplyDelete